Aviary & Therapy Gardens
The beautiful bird aviary recently arrived at The Laurels! The birds came all the way from South Dakota from a company called Living Designs. We have six finches and two unique doves. We expect baby birds will be arriving soon from our two owl finches.
Every day, the residents and activity staff enjoy taking care of the birds. They clean the aviary, provide a bird bath, fresh water, birdseed, and believe it or not, a half of a hard boiled egg with the shell. This is an excellent source of calcium to produce baby birds. They also enjoy eating apples, oranges, grapes, and kiwi.
The Laurels Therapy Gardens are already becoming filled with bright and colorful flowers, vibrant veggies, and herbs. The residents at The Laurels play an important role in the planning and maintenance of the gardens.
Benefits of our Therapy Garden & Sun Patio:
- Gardening is a good source of sensory stimulation
- Sights, smells, sounds, and touch!
- A great form of low-impact exercise for ALL stages of health
- Residents can soak in some much loved Vitamin D!
- A sense of community within the garden - Residents can work together and share tools between each other
- A Strong sense of renewal - Residents can watch the seeds they plant grow into beautiful flowers and vegetables
- Residents feel accomplishment, pride, and purpose as they watch their plants progress.